For centuries, massage therapy has been hailed as a potent tool for relaxation, stress relief, and pain management. As the theory and practice of massage has developed over time, new methods have become available, giving us an armoury of methods to help our clients, One of the latest of these is CBD-infused massage. But what is this, and is it right for you?
What is CBD?
CBD (cannabidiol) is a compound derived from the cannabis plant. It has gained immense popularity for its potential health benefits. CBD products contain no THC - the component of cannabis that causes users to become high! Instead, CBD can promote feelings of relaxation and relieve anxiety. It is also thought to have pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. While further research is still needed, anecdotally CBD massage products can add an extra level of comfort and relaxation to a massage treatment.
The Science Behind CBD and Massage
CBD is renowned for its anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and muscle-relaxant properties. These attributes make it an ideal candidate for enhancing the effectiveness of massage, especially when targeting muscle soreness and tension. The human body has an endocannabinoid system (ECS) that plays a crucial role in maintaining homeostasis. CBD interacts with this system, potentially promoting balance and reducing inflammation, which is especially relevant for athletes dealing with post-workout muscle soreness.
Benefits of CBD-Infused Sports Massage
- Enhanced Muscle Recovery: One of the primary benefits of CBD-infused sports massage is its ability to expedite muscle recovery. Athletes often push their bodies to the limit, leading to muscle strains and inflammation. CBD's anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce muscle soreness and speed up the healing process.
- Pain Relief: CBD is known to alleviate pain by inhibiting pain signals in the brain and reducing inflammation in the affected area. When combined with massage, it can provide athletes with effective relief from chronic pain, such as that caused by overuse injuries.
- Stress Reduction: Sports massage, in itself, is excellent for reducing stress and promoting relaxation. CBD enhances these effects by interacting with receptors in the brain that regulate mood and stress responses, providing a deeper sense of relaxation during the massage.
- Improved Sleep: Quality sleep is essential for athletic performance and recovery. CBD has shown promise in helping individuals with sleep disorders by promoting better sleep patterns. Athletes who incorporate CBD-infused massage into their routine may experience improved sleep quality.
- Reduced Anxiety: Pre-competition jitters or anxiety can hinder an athlete's performance. CBD may help reduce anxiety and nervousness, allowing athletes to stay calm and focused before a big event.
- Injury Prevention: Regular sports massage with CBD can help identify and address minor issues before they become major injuries. By promoting flexibility and reducing muscle tension, it can be a valuable tool for injury prevention.
- A Holistic Approach: CBD-infused sports massage offers a holistic approach to wellness. It not only addresses physical discomfort but also supports mental and emotional well-being, helping athletes perform at their best.
Risks of CBD massage
As with any massage treatment, a CBD massage can leave clients with short-term areas of soreness, or feelings of fatigue. CBD products may also interact with some medications or alcohol. These medications may include some drugs taken to control high blood-pressure or epilepsy, some thyroid medications, some antidepressants and some painkillers. CBD products should also be avoided during pregnancy or breastfeeding. You must seek medical advice before a CBD massage if you are taking any prescription medications. Similarly, alcohol should be avoided both before and after treatment (as for any massage!).
Frequently asked questions about CBD massage
Can athletes use CBD products?
The CBD massage product that I use is WADA and UKAD approved, so may be used by competitive athletes subject to these testing regimes. Informed Sport does not currently allow any CBD-containing products onto their programme, but are evaluating their position and developing a suitable test for the market.
Will I smell like cannabis after a CBD massage?
No! The massage wax that I use has a citrus scent, if anything, and a pleasant, non-greasy texture.
Will I feel high afterwards?
No! The active component which leads to cannabis users getting high or stoned - THC - is not present in CBD massage products. You will feel relaxed and chilled, but certainly not impaired in any way.
Combining CBD and Sports Massage: In Conclusion
CBD products and sports massage go together really well - both aiming to promote relaxation and wellbeing, and to relieve aches and pains. So could this be a good option for you?
Author Hannah Tabram. Category Blog. First published Thu, 07 Sep 2023 13:34:32 +0100